Tuesday, August 26, 2014

I'm baaack ...


Wow, long time .... And super weird because at pretty much the same time, someone else I know & love is also back from her hiatus my Texas bff Christy ...

So I just spent quite awhile getting reacquainted with my old self here and can't believe how much has changed. And how much has happened. In hopes of rekindling this old blog, I'll hold back so I have more to write about later. One thing I have definitely learned about myself looking back over my life is that I rarely finish what I start. I have good ideas, and great intentions, but then nothing ... One example is that I have quit smoking three times in the last year and a half. I am currently on my third attempt and it's been about 12 days. I already feel fatter. Another example is that I registered for a class on May 1, didn't do any of if, and have to write my final last week ... I suck! So in saying that, I may or may not be back after today ....


Anyway, in re-reading my oldest blogs, I noticed that I was pretty funny sometimes, and had a lot of happiness to share. Other posts mortified me, so I hit delete (no need to be reminded that I'm not gettin lucky...)  I should warn you now that I have a lot more crappy updates than good ones, but I will certainly try to find the sunshine in the shit.


I guess I'll start with Rustykins. I lost her last January. Not like misplaced her and just can't find her, I mean that she's in kitty-heaven. I was in Disneyland last year, literally the Happiest Place on Earth, with Sydnerella and Silly Sally when Rusty got sick. Disneyland for the third time because I haven't quite made up for my mommy-guilt over Sydnerella not having a dad .... Anyway, Mister Sister had Rusty at the vet, and they told me if I ever wanted to see her again, they needed my credit card number, a few limbs, and my first born. When I picked Rusty up a few days later, she was yellow from jaundice, had a shaved belly from her ultrasound, and a feeding tube sticking out of her neck. Then she did this for 5 days ....


Then, she started getting better ...

Yay
"let me out"
 
"where the fuck is my food bowl?"


 
It was suggested to me back then that I should start up my blog up again because apparently the stories and updates I had were good. And funny. And ridiculous. And maybe I could have helped other crazy cat people dealing with cats who had liver disease, food aversions, pancreatitis, and feeding tubes. Oh sure, tons of stories ... Like when I sat in cat puke and didn't notice until it seeped through my pants. Or how I had to spread out her tube feedings and med administration to every 6 hours, which meant waking up all hours of the night to warm up liquid cat food (that I may or may not have stirred up with my coffee spoon before putting it in my mug) and syringe feed her over 45 minute periods, then chasing her around the house when she wouldn't let me put the cap back in her tube, then cleaning liquid cat food and amoxicillin off the walls.

Or when I tried to change her litter brand to something less stinky and she revolted by peeing on the floor beside the box while glaring at me, then doing this ...

 
 
Or when she decided she didn't need her feeding tube anymore and pulled it out ...
 
 
 
Rusty was sick for almost 5 months. We were at the vet at least 20 times and she was on 3 different meds. So yes, LOTS of stories. But the shortest version is that she got very sick, then she got better, then she got sick, then she got better, then she got even more sick, and then she died.

After that, I did what all crazy cat people do after they send their fur-babies to Rainbow Bridge ... I took a week off work, joined a pet loss support group, got Rusty cremated (& keep her ashes beside my bed), then became a volunteer and foster parent for an animal rescue organization .... those stories to follow .... Maybe


Rusty finally gets real food


Rusty's last Christmas
 
 
RIP Rusty
 
 
 

1 comment: