Sunday, May 29, 2011

It's midnight. Do you know where your children are?

Mine just got back from 7/11 and she was with a boy. I was sneaking over there to buy a pack of smokes - I'm still pretending she doesn't know I smoke even though she sees me take my pack to the garage and smells me coming back in a few times a day. She was walking through the parking lot while I was driving out (hiding my new pack of smokes under my leg) and instead of giving her shit for leaving the park behind the house where she'd be, I thought I'd be the cool mom and stop to offer some money. She's going to 14 next month and see how she has successfully managed to gain total and utter control here? Why am I allowing my 13 year old to roam the streets at midnight with a boy? Three reasons. 1. I don't want to fight. 2. She was with a chubby boy who looks like he can throw a punch that I know she doesn't want to kiss. And 3. She's wearing sweat pants and a hoodie. About 30 minutes before I agreed for her to go out, we passed two of her girlfriends from school on their way to the fast food places, much further away, wearing itty bity shorts and tank tops. Soooo ... when the fight was just about to start, I decided that I would rather know my kid's staying within 4 blocks of our house and is covered the fuck up. There! I just successfully justified a parenting decision that most wont agree with even though there's something nagging at me that this isn't completely ok. I fear for my sanity and pray that this next stage of parenting doesn't kill me.

1 comment:

  1. "All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on".
    Henry Ellis

    "Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets".
    Arthur Miller

    and a parting one to explain it all *snort*

    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained".
    Mark Twain

    ReplyDelete