Friday, February 5, 2010

Survivor! .... bringing moms and daughters together


Dear Mark Burnett, Jeff Probst, and everyone else who has a hand in bringing the world Survivor,

You have filled my life with something I was missing way back when I was 20 years old. I can't believe you're on your 20th season ... and I can't wait for this coming season ... Heroes vs Villains. February 11 will be celebrated in my house more than February 14 will be and I wouldn't have it any other way. Especially now that I have a partner to enjoy you with ... someone who now shares my understanding that no matter what is going on at 8:55pm on a Thursday night between Feb and May, then again in September - December ... everything is dropped to run to the TV. This gets particularly tricky when I'm not home, a few blocks away ... and trust me, if a cop ever tried to stop me while I was speeding home to watch Survivor, they'd have a high speed chase on their hands, then a hostage situation because I wouldn't open my door to them until the castaway voted off the island said their little surprised good-bye speech. My partner was a mere 2 feet tall when you, Survivor, entered my life. She was still hooked on Barney, Teletubbies, and Bear in the Big Blue House. She's since forgiven me for completely ignoring her existence between 9 and 10 o'clock most Thursday nights of her entire life, because when she became an addict fan of you, she understood why I did what I had to do .... She’s none other than my favorite 12 year old hormonal mean-ager in the world, my daughter, Sydnerella. I was thrilled beyond words about two years ago when channel 49 aired an all-day Survivor marathon that Sydnerella appeared interested in. It was a repeat of Season 2 and she sat with me for a few episodes throughout the day. It captured her enough to sit through the rest of the current season with me, the season James was on .. right before Fans vs Favorites, by far the greatest season so far. I have faith though that Heroes vs Villains will be just as good. Russell vs Rupert? Come on .... that's quality television right there. Yes, Sydnerella and I are hooked. Hooked like a pair of crackheads ... minus the crack of course ... and please, no interventions necessary ... you take away Survivor, you take away our will to live. And even though we don't always agree on favorite and/or most hated castaways, and she usually can't believe I chose who I did for my Survivor pools at work, we at least agree that nothing stands in our way Thursday nights at 9pm between February and May, and again September to December. Ask T-Bone ... if he even dares to come over during our Survivor-time, he is bannished to the computer room and is not to make a sound ... So Survivor, as you can see, not only did you add something to my life that was missing way back when I was a struggling new mom (and also, thank you for airing on Global because even when I was too poor to have cable that one year way way back, I still got to watch you .. even though it was fuzzy and hard to see .... ), you also brought me & Sydnerella together in a way I never imagined I'd be bonded with a child of this age. Our bond is unbreakable and I owe it all to you. I wish you the best of luck these coming years and I hope with all my heart that when Sydnerella is older, and off in her own life, she still comes home every Thursday night between 9 and 10 pm to share a bowl of popcorn and watch you, Survivor, with her momma.

Yours truly,

Sydnerella's mom Stacy
(1-half of the biggest and best mother/daughter team of Survivor fans around ... well maybe in Calgary, or who knows, maybe just Martindale ... )



To read more letters, or to add your own, go to Foursons blog to take part of Letters of Intent friday. And for those that noticed, yes, I changed Sydnerella's name back from Australia for this blog. It just doesn't flow and people that know her very well have asked "who's Australia?" ... I thought I should clarify that incase you were thinking I had more kids than I could possible manage.

Letters of Intent


2 comments:

  1. I am so looking forward to Survivor too! I have re-ignited my love of it since Russell came on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She may not be able to come home every Thursday night and watch it with you, but that doesn't mean she won't be curled up in front of her TV where ever she is and watch the show and then call you to talk all about it. This just may be your forever bond with her! Which I think is very cool by the way.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete